MEET OUR PASTOR
Senior Pastor Roberta Goodman has been a United Methodist Pastor since 1992. She was ordained an Elder in 1996, and has a Master of Divinity Degree from Perkins School of Theology, Southern Methodist University. Her undergraduate degree is a Bachelor of Arts in Missions (Cross-Cultural) from Central Bible School of the Assemblies of God in Springfield, Missouri. As a young girl of 17 she got her start in preaching in prisons and nursing homes. She served ministry internships in a drug rehab center and a domestic abuse clinic. Her experiences have fostered a deep respect and enjoyment of the diversity of Christian thought, practice, and worship. Pastor Roberta and her husband, Devlon, have two daughters who both live in the area.
About FUMC Bertram
The History of First Methodist Church of Bertram, Texas
The Pleasant Grove Church, located at Bear Creek, was organized in 1865 and in later years was consolidated with the Bertram Church. A small house was purchased and moved onto about 4 acres of land, which was donated by W. G. Hall and wife, Sarah Hall, to serve as a school, as well as a church. This being Indian times, the Circuit Riders would preach with their guns beside them. The following Circuit Riders served this church: Mussett King, H. W. South, R. A. Galloway, Bascom H. Thomas, Levi Collins, J. H. Graves and M. L. Hallenbeck. Reverend E. Crum, father of Mrs. Ben Thompson, was Sunday School Superintendent and preached quite often after the Civil War. Later, a church building, about 30 x 50 feet, was erected. Miss Millie Moreland, mother of Cate (Clara?) Barton, and Miss Margaret Sanford, were largely responsible for the building of the church. They worked faithfully, soliciting funds for the same. People of different denominations would camp each summer to attend the meetings at the church. Although each church had charge of its own service, everyone had an interest in each service and felt themselves responsible for the growth of Christianity in our town.
In 1880, the Quarterly Conference divided Pleasant Grove and Bertram into their respective house of worship, moving the Pleasant Grove building to Bertram and combining it with new material, built the remaining part of the present church. Early in 1890 a Methodist Sunday School was organized and met at 3 o'clock in the afternoon In 1918, additions were made to the building by adding "wings" to the church for more room. A wind storm blew the steeple from the building on April 19, 1933. The steeple fell on the north wing of the church damaging the roof. Fortunately, the church bell was not damaged.
In 1940, the members of the First Methodist Church along with their pastor, Reverend Theo L. Cox, set out to build a new church building. Pledges and contributions to the building fund were made during the Annual West Texas Conference, which was held in San Antonio in October 1940, and Reverend J. E. Fuller was sent to Bertram as a new pastor and Reverend Cox was moved to San Antonio. With Reverend Fuller's assistance, sufficient funds were raised and work began on the new church building on January 28, 1941.
A large crowd gathered at noon on Sunday, February 16, 1941, for the opening of the Corner Stone of the old Methodist Church. The following items were found in the Corner Stone: Nashville Christian Advocate dated November 7, 1889; Texas Christian Advocate dated December 5, 1889; Burnet Bulletin dated December 5, 1889; a Bible, a Hymn book; a Discipline; and a sheet of Church Record. Most of the articles found were damaged, because the corner stone did not have a good seal.
The first service in the newly rebuilt church building was held on Easter Sunday, April 13, 1941, with the Choral Club of the Bertram High School furnishing the song service and Reverent Fuller delivering the Easter Sermon. In October 1941, Mrs. S. M. Sanford presented the Methodist Church with a pulpit Bible dedicated to the memory of S. M. Sanford.
Our church that now stands is the very church that was rebuilt in 1941; however, wheel chair ramps were added to the church. In October 1999, the stained glass window was given in dedication to the life of Christine Salyer Ware by her husband, Joe Ware.
Here are some helpful links: